Page 4 of 8 ... 23456 ...
    Mentor
    12-02-2008, 03:59 PM #31
    http://www.laptopmag.com/review/mp3/pioneer-xmp3.aspx

Pioneer XMp3
    The successor to the excellent Pioneer Inno offers Sirius and XM content, expandability, and five-channel recording in a remarkable pocket-friendly device.
    by Jeffrey L. Wilson on December 2, 2008

When the Pioneer Inno XM Satellite Radio player launched in 2006, we hailed it as a near-perfect merge of portability, outstanding recording features, and rich XM Satellite Radio content. Two years later its successor, the $279 Pioneer XMp3, has arrived with even more features that will have Sirius/XM fanatics clamoring for this excellent player. As long as you don’t care about having photos and videos on the go, this single-purpose device is a winner.

Design

Measuring 3.6 x 2.0 x 0.6 inches and weighing 3.2 ounces, the all black Pioneer XMp3 slips easily into a shirt or pants pocket without adding too much bulk and feels comfortable in hand. The front of the device is dominated by a colorful, 2.5-inch screen and a circular, iPod-esque control wheel. In between are buttons for Back, Menu, Keypad, and Options.

On the top of the XMp3 is a thick, stubby antenna, a microSD Card slot (capable of storing up to 8GB of content), and 3.5mm headphone jack. The player’s right side houses easy-to-manipulate volume keys (at least for righties), and the left side has the power/hold switch and USB 2.0 port. The bottom houses a connection port for seating the Pioneer XMp3 in its included charging cradle. The XMp3 also comes with a small remote control (which worked from across a medium-size room), a 23-foot antenna, and an RCA cable for attaching the cradle to a home stereo system.

Interface

At the uppermost portion of the screen are icons that display the XMp3’s signal strength, battery life, and time; the center of the screen showcases the channel name and number. By pressing the Menu key, we were able to launch the navigational interface that let us scroll through icons for Live XM, My Music Library, Auto Recordings, and Settings.

Pressing the confirm button located in the center of the scroll wheel let us cycle through the various options under each heading. For example, selecting Live XM let us access Favorite Channels (you can save up to 99), All Channels, All Categories, XM Highlights, or Schedule Recordings. You can also opt to enter a station number using the virtual keypad (activated by pressing the Keypad button) or the included remote. All in all, the interface was very intuitive.

XM and Sirius Content

Select Sirius content was integrated into XM’s lineup on November 12 (after the long-awaited Sirius/XM merger was approved by the FCC), which resulted in several stations getting the axe or finding a new location on the XM dial. For example, Ethel, Fred, and Lucy, some of our favorite XM rock stations, have been replaced with Sirius’ Alt Nation, 1st Wave, and Lithium, respectively. Cinemagic, the slick movie soundtrack channel, has been yanked from its old home on channel 27, but will return in January 2009 on channel 76. Longtime XM users may be surprised or disappointed by the number of changes (fans may debate whether or not The White Stripes should be in heavy rotation on an alternative channel, for example), but the new channels offer a fair mix of mainstream and indie artists. Regardless, there are more than 170 channels of music, sports, news, and talk radio. Subscriptions start at $9.99 per month for XM content, and $16.99 for XM and “The Best of Sirius.”

Reception and Audio Quality

Whether we were in our midtown Manhattan office or walking the streets of Brooklyn, the Pioneer XMp3 maintained excellent reception; we didn’t encounter any weak signals or dead spots while listening. A pair of rubber-tipped earbuds (with two sets of replacement tips) fit snugly into the ear and provided crisp audio. Bassheads may lament the lack of a rich bottom end, but the sound was balanced overall. You certainly won’t have to worry about hearing your favorite tunes or talk shows; the XMp3 pumped out volume loud enough to overwhelm the din of our morning subway commute.

New Recording Capabilities

When you find a station that piques your interest, you can press down on the scroll wheel to bring up several options: Record Song, Record Channel, Schedule Recording, and Set to Auto Record. Record Song let us record an individual track; Record Channel let us record up to 6 hours of a particular station; Schedule Recording let us set recording times as far ahead as the year 2050.

The Auto Record feature enables the XMp3 to learn from our listening habits and automatically record up to 30 hours of content from the five stations that we listened to most often; after a few days with the player it began recording our favorite music and sports radio shows, so we didn’t miss our programs when we didn’t have the player in hand (it records a continuous chunk of audio, which is broken down into individual songs and segments). You can view and play all of your recorded content in the My Music Library section. Unfortunately, recorded content cannot be moved from the player to a notebook.

The ability to record up to five channels at once is hands-down the best feature, as we never had to miss any of our favorite shows that overlap. To round things out, the Pioneer XMp3 features an internal buffer that lets us pause and rewind up to 30 minutes of live XM programming—a sort of audio TiVo.

TuneSelect

As with the Pioneer Inno, the XMp3 features the cool TuneSelect that allows music lovers never to miss favorite songs or artists. By clicking the Options key during U2’s “Mysterious Ways” we were able to highlight both the band and the track, so whenever either played on any channel, the device would alert us, and we could jump to it by pressing the confirm button. GameSelect offers the same feature for sporting events.

Managing Music

The Pioneer XMp3 comes with 2GB of onboard storage, double that of the Pioneer Inno, which the company says should be enough to accommodate up to 10 hours of songs or 75 hours of talk programs. When connected to our PC, we could either drag and drop music digital audio files via USB, or use the bundled Windows Vista– and XP–compatible XM2go Music Manager to create and edit playlists. (Unfortunately, the XMp3 is not compatible with Macs.) You can also use the software to bookmark and purchase songs from online music stores such as Napster or audio books from www.audible.com/xm. We were also able to add Radiohead’s Kid A album via microSD, but the player doesn’t support album art.

Battery Life

Pioneer rates the player for 16.5 hours of playback and 4 hours for Live XM. On our tests, which included listening to a mix of live shows and recorded content, we went nearly three days before needing to plug the unit into an outlet.

Verdict

If you’ve been waiting to partake of the portable satellite radio experience, this is the player to get—at least until the hybrid players come along that will enable users to cherry-pick channels from both XM and Sirius. Until then—which is anybody’s guess—the $279 Pioneer XMp3 player is the best portable satellite radio player available, and a must-have for XM Satellite Radio fans.

Guru
    12-02-2008, 04:17 PM #32
    thx for the welcome, im thinking its gonna be a flat day. was hoping sirius could stay above 0.20, but it sure doesnt look like it right now i heard 0.30 was a big number cause that meant they can get to some stored up cash or something. i would hate to see a rs, that would make me cry

Guru
    12-02-2008, 04:21 PM #33
    things are looking up for the moment, heh im such a newbie, i need to stop watching it like a hawk

Mentor
    12-02-2008, 04:24 PM #34
    RS definately sucks.

If they can get to 0.31, their market cap will be over $1 billion dollars, and they will be able to access a $100 million credit facility with Loral, the maker of their satellites. The problem with this though is that taking that $100 million would pretty much wipe out Loral. It is hard to do that to a needed business partner... will they do it? I dont know. Mel can be ruthless sometimes.

Mentor
    12-02-2008, 04:31 PM #35
    This should help sales of sat rad in the Boston area.....

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...ed_from_b.html

Shock jocks Opie & Anthony dropped from Boston airwaves
    Tuesday, December 2nd 2008, 2:43 PM

Was it something they said?

Shock jocks Opie & Anthony have been ditched from the Boston airwaves for the third time in ten years. This time, however, their scandalous stunts weren’t to blame.
    Instead, WBCN-FM (104.1) has suggested the outrageous hosts simply weren’t a big enough hit with local listeners to keep their coveted morning slot.
    WCBN announced yesterday that the notorious duo’s morning show would be replaced by “Toucher & Rich”, who currently host an afternoon show on the station.
    Cha-Chi Loprette, WBCN’s marketing director, was adamant that the controversial hosts aren’t the latest victims of the recession.
    "The trend has been towards a local morning show,” Loprete told the Boston Herald. “We haven’t had a local morning show since the days of Charles Laquidara, which is over 12 years ago.”
    Gregg “Opie” Hughes and Anthony Cumina apparently aren’t convinced, telling fans on their website that they believe they were axed due to budget cuts.
    The pair, were previously ditched from Hub radio in 1998 after telling April Fools Day listeners that Mayor Thomas M. Menino had been killed in a car crash and again in 2002 after encouraging a couple to have sex in St. Patrick’s Cathedral live on air.
    Their show, which can still be heard on XM Satellite Radio, was picked up again by WBCN in 2006.

Guru
    12-02-2008, 04:36 PM #36
    opie and anthony are always getting fired lol

12-02-2008, 05:43 PM #37

Cool Hope

Hey everyone! I'm new at this forum stuff. I've been a reader for quite some time now and have been very, very dissapointed at what has transpired with this stock. I understand there has been a bunch of economical factors that has had an effect on it. I've sure I speak for alot of you, but I have lost a ton so far and have no choice but to stay in it for the long. I just HOPE that in the long run this stock will regain itself in the next 1-3 years and we all can re-coup ssome if not all our losses and then some.

Mentor
    12-02-2008, 05:46 PM #38
    Dec. 2, 2008 Market Close: $ 0.179

After Hours Trade Reporting

After Hours
    Last: $ .1859
    After Hours
    High: $ .1897
    After Hours
    Volume: 1,302,860
    After Hours
    Low: $ .179

After Hours
    Time (ET) After Hours
    Price After Hours
    Share Volume
    19:52 $ .1859 4,750
    19:17 $ .185 10,000
    19:02 $ .185 250
    18:24 $ .185 500
    18:23 $ .18 4,537
    18:17 $ .18 3,325
    18:12 $ .18 13,908
    18:12 $ .18 3,230
    18:09 $ .18 3,000
    18:09 $ .185 250
    18:00 $ .181 800
    18:00 $ .18 200
    17:46 $ .181 100
    17:40 $ .185 250
    17:40 $ .1864 3,208
    17:40 $ .1869 1,542
    17:40 $ .18 1,000
    17:38 $ .185 750
    17:30 $ .18 1,500
    17:11 $ .181 1,000
    17:11 $ .1801 15,500
    17:11 $ .18 3,108
    17:11 $ .18 392
    17:09 $ .1877 200
    17:01 $ .1879 1,000
    16:44 $ .187 100
    16:44 $ .18 100
    16:44 $ .187 900
    16:44 $ .1884 7,600
    16:43 $ .181 1,000
    16:43 $ .18 1,000
    16:31 $ .1888 5,000
    16:24 $ .1897 1,500
    16:22 $ .1808 132,000
    16:15 $ .179 208
    16:14 $ .189 5,460
    16:14 $ .1888 5,792
    16:14 $ .1897 1,208
    16:12 $ .1853 646,950
    16:09 $ .18 4,200
    16:09 $ .18 100
    16:09 $ .18 1,492
    16:08 $ .18 4,800
    16:08 $ .179 372,642
    16:04 $ .1795 100
    16:03 $ .1796 100
    16:00 $ .179 11,108
    16:00 $ .18 200
    16:00 $ .18 10,000
    16:00 $ .18 15,000
    Last edited by Demian; 12-02-2008 at 09:37 PM.

Mentor
    12-02-2008, 09:40 PM #39
    http://www.twice.com/index.asp?layou...leid=CA6618367

Sirius XM's Meyer Shares Q4 Strategy
    By Amy Gilroy -- TWICE,12/01/2008

NEW YORK — In this volatile economic period, Sirius XM offered a rare glimpse into the company's strategy to alleviate retail confusion, adjust to tiered service plans and battle a brutal economy in the fourth quarter.

Jim Meyer, operations and sales president, told TWICE the company will push its top-tier $16.99/month "Best of Both" service. A Black Friday promotion offers three free months of "Best of Both" service with the purchase of any Sirius or XM aftermarket product. "Best of Both" adds Sirius channels to an XM subscription or XM channels to a Sirius subscription at a $4 premium.

The company will also focus heavily this season on radio advertising under a single Sirius XM banner, said the executive in an exclusive interview with TWICE.

Meyer said the company's sales to date of "Best of Both" subscriptions exceeded all forecasts. He said it was too soon to tell how the lower-tier a la carte services is performing at $6.99/month, "When you look at the other pay services, tiered programming has been successful. We're encouraged by the early results. Obviously we like it better when they buy the $16.99 rate than $6.99."

The company hopes the switch to joint advertising will alleviate customer confusion at retail. "If you go to a Best Buy or Circuit City beginning [last] week, for the holiday period, you'll see a common display with both brands displayed and a common merchandise strategy. We think that goes a long way toward the elimination of confusion. Also, within the retail brochures, [there is] one promotion for both brands."

Displays will also be available in other stores and will spell out service plans.

He said advertising this year will include more radio and less TV. "We think changing it up was a good idea. We're excited about [radio] because we think it is an efficient vehicle to get new listeners." He noted of print ads, "We think we'll be well represented in retail ads. We're very happy with the space we've been able to secure through our retailers."

When asked about the recent spate of complaints from bloggers after the company adjusted its channel lineup, Meyer said the changeover resulted in relatively few deactivations. "Over the last five days, while I never like to lose any customers, I can tell you it's been a non-issue. We did lose some. In my mind, so far, I've been very pleased considering as a big a change as we did."

Meyer acknowledged the headwinds of the current economy, stating, "No doubt the downturn will have an impact on how many new cars are sold next year and how many will have satellite radio in them. We're all trying to wait till this thing finds its bottom and figure out where to go from there. We get predictions from our partners and two or three industry sources and they are all over the place. It's difficult to predict how many cars will be sold in 2009. With that in mind ... we've always been committed to the aftermarket business, and we continue to be committed to the aftermarket and will continue to promote and advertise in ways that we think will help drive the business."

Sirius XM is starting to experiment with promotions to customers of used cars. "The company is now old enough that we're beginning for the first time to see sizeable amounts of factory-installed satellite radios [in cars] that are traded in and sold, and now we're very much interested in remarketing to get the next car owner to subscribe as well," Meyer said.

It is working with Car Max and AutoNation and with certified pre-owned dealers. "We're looking at ways to direct market to consumers of those used cars to offer them a tryout. We've developed a lot of approaches and we're out testing several of them now. This is going to take several months to evaluate."

12-02-2008, 10:31 PM #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooldad View Post
    Hey everyone! I'm new at this forum stuff. I've been a reader for quite some time now and have been very, very dissapointed at what has transpired with this stock. I understand there has been a bunch of economical factors that has had an effect on it. I've sure I speak for alot of you, but I have lost a ton so far and have no choice but to stay in it for the long. I just HOPE that in the long run this stock will regain itself in the next 1-3 years and we all can re-coup ssome if not all our losses and then some.

All i can say is that i studied this stock for months and right before the 3 quarter report, i gambled and went in heavy now im stuck until this thing can climb.

Page 4 of 8 ... 23456 ...