Page 1 of 2 12
    11-30-2008, 03:43 PM #1

"iPhones, FStream and the Death of Satellite Radio"

Here's an interesting thread on Slashdot..

http://entertainment.slashdot.org/ar...58232&from=rss

Statesman writes
    "Only a little over a year ago, the FCC approved the merger of XM and Sirius satellite radio companies and the combined stock was trading at $4 a share. Despite being a monopoly — or perhaps because of it — the company is failing. They are losing subscribers, the stock is now trading around 22 cents a share (a 97% decline), and they have written off $4.8 billion dollars in stock value. So, what happened? The CEO is blaming pretty much everyone except himself and his business model. But is pay-for-bandwidth even a viable business plan anymore? With millions of iPhone and gPhone users out there, free streaming audio applications like FStream, and thousands of Internet radio stations to access, the question is: why would anyone want to pay for proprietary hardware and a limited selection of a few hundred stations all controlled by one company?"

Enthusiast
    11-30-2008, 08:18 PM #2
    Yea, they clearly haven't heard of the iPhone program coming once apple approves it and such

12-01-2008, 03:44 PM #3
    It's not going to happen, at least not any time soon. I have the iPhone and let me tell you, streaming audio chews your data plan like you wouldn't believe. Even 6GB monthly data plans can easily be exceeded if you listen to streaming audio. However, if Verizon, Sprint, or AT&T offer unlimited data plan with NO CAPS and reasonably priced then that's an option.

In my case, I was thinking of giving up my data plan in favor of a Sirius/XM plan, it's cheaper then the data plan but there's no web access via the satellite plans.

I don't think satellite radio needs to be worried about streaming audio at this time.
    Last edited by Noob; 12-01-2008 at 03:47 PM.

Mentor
    12-02-2008, 01:39 AM #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Noob View Post
    It's not going to happen, at least not any time soon. I have the iPhone and let me tell you, streaming audio chews your data plan like you wouldn't believe. Even 6GB monthly data plans can easily be exceeded if you listen to streaming audio. However, if Verizon, Sprint, or AT&T offer unlimited data plan with NO CAPS and reasonably priced then that's an option.

In my case, I was thinking of giving up my data plan in favor of a Sirius/XM plan, it's cheaper then the data plan but there's no web access via the satellite plans.

I don't think satellite radio needs to be worried about streaming audio at this time.

If you have an iPhone - you have an unlimited data plan. All iPhones must have an unlimited data plan if they are activated. The phone's voicemail features are dependent on it.

Every single iPhone user has an unlimited data plan......

12-02-2008, 03:43 AM #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Demian View Post
    Every single iPhone user has an unlimited data plan......
    Of course they do....and you know this because you went to EVERY country in the world and have analysed the data plans.

Just so you know, the USA is not the only country that has the iPhone.

Mentor
    12-02-2008, 07:36 AM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Noob
    Not sure I understand what you mean with this... All SatRad plans (with the exception of ala carte) have unlimited web listening dont they?

12-02-2008, 03:48 PM #7
    The iPhone is heavily restricted/limited in listening to streaming audio from the web. You would have to download and install speciality application programs, if available. Most websites use flash, real player, or windows media player to stream audio. The iPhone does not have this ability. Therefore, you currently are not able to listen to Sirius/XM on the web from your iPhone.

However, I heard a rumor that there may be an application in the works that you download for the iPhone which will allow you to listen to Sirius/XM. This app wouldnt be of much use to Sirius/XM subscribers north of the border because they don't have unlimited data usage plans and streaming audio and video eats away at your usage at a phenomenal rate. At one point, at the start of the iPhone launch, you were given the option of buying 6GB of data for $30/month which required a comittment for 36 months. Now, for the same price, they offer 1GB. That's the cellular market in Canada for you.

Many Canadians for example, have US bought Sirius/XM radios and US subscriptions because they don't like the French Specialty Channels and other Canadian content.

Mentor
    12-02-2008, 04:27 PM #8
    Not sure how it works with cell phones, but could the same not be done with the iPhone? Sign up for a US plan with unlimited data?

I have heard that roam rates while overseas is rediculous, not sure how canadian rates would be for a US phone...

12-02-2008, 05:20 PM #9
    Unfortunately not. Most cellphone in North America, especially the iPhone are "locked" to the specific carrier. For example, an AT&T iPhone will not work on the Rogers network in Canada. You can roam with both phones but you will incurr insane charges. Eventually, the iPhone will be "unlocked" to allow other carriers, say, if you move to that country, but it's not beneficial to live in one country and have another country's cell phone data plan as you have to have the base plan from your home country and you would be still be roaming if you go outside of it. iPhones require a three year contract unless you pay full retail, or around $800 for the phone.

Mentor
    12-02-2008, 05:48 PM #10
    The 3G iPhones require a contract REGARDLESS of how much you pay, at least in the US. I did not want a contract, figured I could use the iPhone as an iPod Touch or something if I didnt like it, or even crack it and throw it onto the Verizon network. (Even sprint is using 3G now... that is new for them, wander if you can use a broken phone on their network now? Doubt it, cause sprint doesn't use sim cards...). They would NOT let me pay full retail, and that was at Best Buy, an AT&T store, AND an Apple Store. I ended up with a contract.. but I love the iPhone. Now, if I could just get Sirius/XM, I would be set.

Page 1 of 2 12