Page 1 of 2 12
    Banned
    11-22-2008, 07:45 PM #1

StarPlayr for iPhone

http://forums.geekstoolbox.com/showt...t=3323&page=11

The application seems to be in a hold status. I think we should try and contact Sirius in order to push approval of this application forward (if possible). Release of this app will open us up in another market besides auto. It will help reduce churn and possibly increase subs.

Email Sirius and inquire about the app.

Banned
    11-22-2008, 07:46 PM #2
    My letter to Sirius

-----------------------------------------------------------------

To: 'customercare@sirius-radio.com'; 'genfeedback@sirius-radio.com'; 'investorrelations@siriusradio.com'; 'nonmgmtdirectors@sirius-radio.com'; 'sbowman@siriusradio.com'; 'sresendez@siriusradio.com'; 'afitzpatrick@siriusradio.com'; 'nkhairzada@siriusradio.com'; 'pblalock@siriusradio.com'; 'hstevens@siriusradio.com'; 'preilly@siriusradio.com'

I am a subscriber and investor in this company. I am also aware of an application called StarPlayr by GeeksToolbox which was developed for the iPhone in order to stream Sirius XM internet radio. I would really like to emphasize that this official approval of this application should be Sirius’s top priority right now.

This application opens Sirius to a major new market for subscribers. I personally have an iPhone and would greatly desire this or another application for the iPhone. I am currently unable to get service at my work location with either the online service or via wifi. There are no terrestrial repeaters near my location, so my Stiletto is only usable as an MP3 player for part of my day. Having that live content again would be great. Sirius offers a great product, and I would love to be able to get it for more than a car ride.

The application would need to prevent multiple users with the same online name. Perhaps limit to 2 online users at a time under the same name. This would prevent piracy of the signal.
    This application would further help to reduce churn.
    More importantly, it will open up Sirius content to another medium. Apple is riddled with stale content. Pandora has an application for iPhone that is performing very well. Pandora however does not offer Howard Stern, Martha Stewart, Enimem, O&A, NFL, NHL, NBA,…… you get the idea. Limiting your product to the flailing auto market is very short sighted.

As an investor and subscriber, I would like to request that an application for the iPhone is released immediately.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Banned
    11-22-2008, 07:48 PM #3
    Please write a letter to the above people and emphasize that they need to get this application out ASAP.

Enthusiast
    11-22-2008, 08:36 PM #4
    Quote Originally Posted by jmm232 View Post
    Please write a letter to the above people and emphasize that they need to get this application out ASAP.

you could realize apple could be the one holding this up, since Apple is the one who has to APPROVE all applications on the iPhone

Banned
    11-22-2008, 09:22 PM #5
    Then I suggest we write Apple too.
    Look, this will only help them sell songs. StarPlayr allows you to purchase the song from iTunes through the player. Seeing that they also have Pandora, I do not think music sales are what they are worried about.

Enthusiast
    11-23-2008, 01:38 AM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by jmm232 View Post
    Then I suggest we write Apple too.
    Look, this will only help them sell songs. StarPlayr allows you to purchase the song from iTunes through the player. Seeing that they also have Pandora, I do not think music sales are what they are worried about.
    There's the thing Apple has such obscure rules on making a program on the iphone even if its done and turned in, they could ban it for being too close to a iPhone feature as it is. Look at what happened to an Gmail Program and a Podcast program while they just accepted an email program on the phone today

Mentor
    11-23-2008, 06:38 AM #7
    jmm: Sirius has absolutely nothing to do with this application. It is developed by a third party (GeeksToolBox) and was submitted to Apple. Sirius has not even entered into the equasion.

When/if the app gets approved, it will be GeeksToolBox getting the revenue from the sale of the app (if it is for sale, which I assme it would be, for like $4.99 or something). Sirius will be cut out completely, other than the subscription revs of course.

PS: This is also why I think Sirius SHOULD have developed this app. They could have earned money by selling the app (who would NOT pay a one time fee of $4.99 for this thing), plus they could have worked a revshare agreement with Apple to get a cut from each individual song that got purchased through iTunes due to their app. Sirius XM dropped the ball here...

The only other thing to consider is if SiriusXM would have a copyright issue with StarPlayR, and Sirius is working with them AND apple about this issue... who knows.
    Last edited by Newman; 11-23-2008 at 06:40 AM.

Banned
    11-23-2008, 04:35 PM #8
    Newman

The blog that I read seemed to imply that Sirius is holding this up. It is possible that without the approval of Sirius, they cannot roll out the application. You have to remember that StarPlayr is providing access to exclusive content using Sirius's internet aplication or Sirius's API. Now if Sirius is also developing the same sort of application, they may not give approval and then the application is in limbo. Sirius may work out a profit sharing agreement with Geekstoolbox since the application depends on Sirius's technology.

Now if GeeksToolbox was to roll out the application without Sirius's consent, they could be sued for copyright infringement and that would be the end of the application.

Mentor
    11-24-2008, 12:43 AM #9
    But COULD they be sued for it?

Now that SIrius has agreed to open access with the merger agreement, how would this not be considered open access?

I am anxiously awaiting this application hitting the market.

Banned
    11-24-2008, 10:17 PM #10
    Me too Newma, both from an investor standpoint and an end user. Bring it on

Page 1 of 2 12