Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: Recently reported big institutional buys...

  1. #21
    Gnarkillz is offline
    Member
    Gnarkillz's Avatar
    Joined: Nov 2008 Location: Syracuse, NY Posts: 34
    More big institution buying.....

    Report Date: 11-21-08
    California Public Employees Retirement System -- 7,565,723 shares ($1,059,201).

    Go Arnold!

    Source:
    http://www.mffais.com/siri.html

  2. #22
    SD-08 is offline
    Member
    SD-08's Avatar
    Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 33
    GUYS,,,,,,,,,,

    I hate to break your hearts,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BUT,,,,

    Those "large institutional buys" ARE NOT HAPPENING NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Those buys you are seeing are being POSTED now because they are part of the quarterly report that is being reported to the SEC by that particular institution.

    Which means that those "large buys" actually happen sometime during the quarter that is being reported..........

    Most likely the 3rd quarter.

    Which means those buys happen ANY TIME between 7/01/08 - 9/30/08.

    The merger was completed in July,,,,SO,, those buys COULD have happen just after the merger in hopes of a pop.......just like us......

    I've researched some of those reports and some of them aren't even the 3rd quarter......some are from the 1st or 2nd........

    Do NOT let those reports give you false hope.................

  3. #23
    SD-08 is offline
    Member
    SD-08's Avatar
    Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 33
    ALSO,,,,,,,,,,

    Do not let the dollar amount fool you either,,,,,,,,,,,

    The "share" column tells you the number of shares AT THE TIME OF THE REPORT

    The dollar value column gives you the CURRENT value of those shares,,,TODAY........NOT THE PRICE PAID.................

  4. #24
    Demian is offline
    Mentor
    Demian's Avatar
    Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 2,320
    Wouldn't the sells have to be reported too though if they fell within the SEC required reprting time frame?

    I'm a little foggy on what the actual reporting time frame rules are...

    How does the short position reporting rules differ?

  5. #25
    Siriusowner is offline
    Addict
    Siriusowner's Avatar
    Joined: Nov 2008 Location: The Oil Patch, Texas Posts: 922
    Quote Originally Posted by Demian View Post
    Wouldn't the sells have to be reported too though if they fell within the SEC required reprting time frame?

    I'm a little foggy on what the actual reporting time frame rules are...

    How does the short position reporting rules differ?
    Short selling is the selling of a security that the seller does not own, or any sale that is completed by the delivery of a security borrowed by the seller. Short selling is a legitimate trading strategy. Typically, a short sale involves the sale of a security at the current price which is settled with shares lent to the short seller by a third party. The seller makes the short sale on the assumption that the price of the security will go down. If this occurs, the short seller will purchase shares to lock in a profit, extinguish the short position and replace the shares previously borrowed. Of course, if the stock rises in price, the short seller may elect to close out the position through a purchase, and absorb the resulting loss. Firms are required to report their short positions as of settlement on the 15th of each month. A compilation is published eight business days after.

    Data Definitions
    Settlement Date: The date specified for delivery of securities between securities firms. This date marks the official date for change of ownership and is used for accounting for long or short positions.
    Short Interest: The total number of shares of a security that have been sold short by customers and securities firms that have not been repurchased to settle outstanding short positions in the market; the net short positions outstanding in the stock as of the settlement date.
    Average Daily Share Volume: The number of shares of stock traded each day, averaged over a rolling one-year period.
    Days to Cover: Calculated as the aggregate short interest for the month divided by the average daily share volume traded between short interest settlement dates. If days to cover is between 0 and 1, it is rounded up to 1 on Nasdaq.com.

    Why Investors Care
    Many investors believe that rising short interest positions in a stock is a bearish indicator. They use the Days to Cover statistic as a way to judge rising or falling sentiment in a stock from month-to-month, and use the statistic as a way to compare investor sentiment between stocks.

  6. #26
    Demian is offline
    Mentor
    Demian's Avatar
    Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 2,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriusowner View Post
    Short selling is the selling of a security that the seller does not own, or any sale that is completed by the delivery of a security borrowed by the seller. Short selling is a legitimate trading strategy. Typically, a short sale involves the sale of a security at the current price which is settled with shares lent to the short seller by a third party. The seller makes the short sale on the assumption that the price of the security will go down. If this occurs, the short seller will purchase shares to lock in a profit, extinguish the short position and replace the shares previously borrowed. Of course, if the stock rises in price, the short seller may elect to close out the position through a purchase, and absorb the resulting loss. Firms are required to report their short positions as of settlement on the 15th of each month. A compilation is published eight business days after.

    Data Definitions
    Settlement Date: The date specified for delivery of securities between securities firms. This date marks the official date for change of ownership and is used for accounting for long or short positions.
    Short Interest: The total number of shares of a security that have been sold short by customers and securities firms that have not been repurchased to settle outstanding short positions in the market; the net short positions outstanding in the stock as of the settlement date.
    Average Daily Share Volume: The number of shares of stock traded each day, averaged over a rolling one-year period.
    Days to Cover: Calculated as the aggregate short interest for the month divided by the average daily share volume traded between short interest settlement dates. If days to cover is between 0 and 1, it is rounded up to 1 on Nasdaq.com.

    Why Investors Care
    Many investors believe that rising short interest positions in a stock is a bearish indicator. They use the Days to Cover statistic as a way to judge rising or falling sentiment in a stock from month-to-month, and use the statistic as a way to compare investor sentiment between stocks.
    You seem to know a lot about short selling.....

  7. #27
    Siriusowner is offline
    Addict
    Siriusowner's Avatar
    Joined: Nov 2008 Location: The Oil Patch, Texas Posts: 922
    Quote Originally Posted by Demian View Post
    You seem to know a lot about short selling.....

    Of course, who in his right mind will jump into the world of Wall Street without knowing the difference between being short and being long.

  8. #28
    Demian is offline
    Mentor
    Demian's Avatar
    Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 2,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriusowner View Post
    Of course, who in his right mind will jump into the world of Wall Street without knowing the difference between being short and being long.
    I agree....

    Also, who in their right mind would not follow the market as a whole or listen to the quarterly reports of the companies they are invested in or shorting?

  9. #29
    Demian is offline
    Mentor
    Demian's Avatar
    Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 2,320
    More activity recently reported.....

    Mml Mid Cap Growth Fund (Mml Series Investment Fund) Mid-Cap Growth 2008-11-24
    New Holding
    576,000 shares

    Shaw D E And Co Inc Institution 2008-11-24
    New Holding
    2,763,534 shares

    Value Fund (Usaa Mutual Funds Trust) Multi-Cap Value 2008-11-24
    Sold All
    -1,543,300 shares

  10. #30
    Siriusowner is offline
    Addict
    Siriusowner's Avatar
    Joined: Nov 2008 Location: The Oil Patch, Texas Posts: 922
    Quote Originally Posted by Demian View Post
    I agree....

    Also, who in their right mind would not follow the market as a whole or listen to the quarterly reports of the companies they are invested in or shorting?
    Me. I follow sectors and/or individual stocks and I do not listen to some of the clowns that run theses companies. I like to see results not promises and wishes.

  11. Ad Fairy Senior Member
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •