Page 2 of 2 12
    11-13-2008, 06:20 PM #11

Angry XM subscriber...

Hello. I'm an XM subscriber. I see from the previous posts that the Sirius folks are as passionate as us XM subscribers.

I'm willing to listen to the Sirius version of Chrome (The Strobe), but they eliminated both! This defies logic!

I'm so distraught. I keep punching the channel number in, praying that I'm having a bad dream and that the station will start playing any minute.

This new homogenized lineup is exactly why I left FM. I can't imagine what those guys were thinking.

Christ, do we really need another album-oriented rock station?!? How many are there now, 7? 10? My god, how many "mainstream" stations do we need? If I wanted mainstream I would have stayed on the FM band.

XM music fans were totally screwed.

Somebody put me out of my misery.

11-13-2008, 06:30 PM #12
    Quote Originally Posted by saminbama View Post
    Hello. I'm an XM subscriber. I see from the previous posts that the Sirius folks are as passionate as us XM subscribers.

I'm willing to listen to the Sirius version of Chrome (The Strobe), but they eliminated both! This defies logic!

I'm so distraught. I keep punching the channel number in, praying that I'm having a bad dream and that the station will start playing any minute.

This new homogenized lineup is exactly why I left FM. I can't imagine what those guys were thinking.

Christ, do we really need another album-oriented rock station?!? How many are there now, 7? 10? My god, how many "mainstream" stations do we need? If I wanted mainstream I would have stayed on the FM band.

XM music fans were totally screwed.

Somebody put me out of my misery.
    I feel your pain (I'm a long time Sirius listener).. well.. at least this brings the XM and Sirius listeners together. We can all be collectively pissed at the mgmt!

11-13-2008, 08:00 PM #13

Ftc?

The merger took place, in part, because of relentless reassurances by XM and Sirius that a monopoly would not be created because of the merger (that's a lie on its face).

Since the lineup has been homogenized to a large degree (half the music stations are described as "mainstream insert style of music here"), shouldn't this violation be reported to the government agency who allowed the merger to take place?

You can let them hear from us at http://www.ftc.gov/ftc/contact.shtm. Maybe the threat of a fine would encourage XM Sirius to give us back our music.

Peace,

Sam in 'bama

Mentor
    11-13-2008, 08:08 PM #14
    Quote Originally Posted by saminbama View Post
    The merger took place, in part, because of relentless reassurances by XM and Sirius that a monopoly would not be created because of the merger (that's a lie on its face).

Since the lineup has been homogenized to a large degree (half the music stations are described as "mainstream insert style of music here"), shouldn't this violation be reported to the government agency who allowed the merger to take place?

You can let them hear from us at http://www.ftc.gov/ftc/contact.shtm. Maybe the threat of a fine would encourage XM Sirius to give us back our music.

Peace,

Sam in 'bama
    Here is a letter that is circulating around on the internet....

To: KJMWEB@fcc.gov, Michael.Copps@fcc.gov, Jonathan.Adelstein@fcc.gov, dtaylortateweb@fcc.gov, Robert.McDowell@fcc.gov, antitrust.complaints@usdoj.gov, letters@washpost.com, national@washpost.com

Commisioners Martin, Copps, Adelstein, Tate, McDowell, and Department of Justice,

XM Satellite Radio and Sirius Satellite Radio certified before the merger that customers would not lose choices of channels. That certification was part of the conditions that allowed the merger. They lied. As of November 12, They have eliminated many of the channels that have no counterpart (i.e. Fine Tuning, Boombox, Chrome). Instead we get payola-esque single-artist channels. And, as far as diversity is concered, 75% of the Spanish-language channels were dropped, a clear act in bad faith regarding their promise to maintain diversity. As a result of the merger, consumer choice has been markedly decreased. As a result of the lost channels, the net per-channel cost has risen. The FCC and DOJ should investigate the merged company to insist that they adhere to the conditions of the merger and restore the channels that were eliminated by the merger.

11-13-2008, 08:16 PM #15

I agree...

I hope people are sending that to the proper government entities. Except I didn't think the FCC had anything to do with satellite radio. Isn't that why Howard left FM, which is under the governance of the FCC?

I would think the Federal Trade Commission would be interested in or at least need to know how many customers were lied to.

11-13-2008, 08:20 PM #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Demian View Post
    ... And, as far as diversity is concerned, 75% of the Spanish-language channels were dropped...
    I HATE that they slaughtered the Hispanic music channels. Now there's only one, correct (Caliente)?

Page 2 of 2 12