Page 4 of 15 ... 2345614 ...
    11-15-2008, 12:33 PM #31

Is this an irreversible switch?

On November 12th, 2008 I was driving to work and did not expect to find
    that Sirius Programming has decided to cancel my favorite radio station, Sirius Boombox. Without warning, and with no explanation, the channel was replaced with yet another main stream pop channel, leaving no channel on any satellite radio to fulfill the need for the break beat, electro rock and remix format.

As a longtime Sirius subscriber I ask that you reconsider this decision. Eliminating your niche, non-mainstream channels will result in loss of subscriptions and will open the door for competitors!

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT YOUR SATELLITE RADIO CUSTOMERS DID NOT SIGN UP FOR SIRIUS TO HEAR THE SAME MAINSTREAM MUSIC THAT IS PLAYED ON LOCAL RADIO.

Instead, we were drawn to your diverse channel selection that made available to us styles and genres of music that don't get satisfied by local markets. Boombox was one of those stations that opened our eyes and ears to songs and music that, without it, we would never have had the opportunity to hear on radio. A weekly radio show on Alt Nation and another mainstream electronic station in BPM do not make up for the loss of Boombox.

We also did not sign up for Sirius to get the lesser quality channels available on XM, such as BPM. If that were the case, I would have chosen XM. I understand that a merger is taking place between these two companies but that should not necessitate eliminating channels that do not overlap with the programming on ANY of your other channels. Instead, please eliminate the stations that DO overlap. Area 38 and Boombox are my two favorite channels and neither one of them can be replaced by any other channel available on Sirius or XM.

The music format played on the channel that has replaced Boombox overlaps with 9 or more channels already available on Sirius XM, whereas the music format of Boombox overlaps with exactly ZERO other channels available on satellite radio. I understand the need to have channels that cater to the mainstream markets, but please understand that we chose to PAY for Sirius to have the opportunity to listen to channels that are outside of the mainstream realm, such as my favorite channel Boombox. Our demographic is young and growing, please don't burn the bridges you have built with us. The direction of Sirius XM is one that the local radio stations have already taken. Sirius XM cannot compete with FREE local radio by providing the same music that they provide.

Thus, as our benevolent satellite radio monopoly PLEASE consider the need for the smaller market formats. They are the lifeblood of satellite radio. They are the reason we pay for radio. I cannot believe that Boombox was in any way causing Sirius to lose profitability with its refreshing breakthrough style and music selection. So on behalf of the shocked Sirius fans everywhere, please bring back the music of Boombox for our sake and our continued patronage. THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR BOOMBOX.

Thank you for your consideration.

11-16-2008, 12:52 PM #32
    A-Ron: I've resorted to hunting through youtube for good stuff, but it's a tedious process and very hit or miss. Search for something you like and see if there is a channel that deals with that genre. I've also tried pandora and such... again, very hit or miss. Please post if you find anything worthwhile!

11-16-2008, 07:04 PM #33

boombox must return

Quote Originally Posted by atrayn22 View Post
    On November 12th, 2008 I was driving to work and did not expect to find
    that Sirius Programming has decided to cancel my favorite radio station, Sirius Boombox. Without warning, and with no explanation, the channel was replaced with yet another main stream pop channel, leaving no channel on any satellite radio to fulfill the need for the break beat, electro rock and remix format.

As a longtime Sirius subscriber I ask that you reconsider this decision. Eliminating your niche, non-mainstream channels will result in loss of subscriptions and will open the door for competitors!

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT YOUR SATELLITE RADIO CUSTOMERS DID NOT SIGN UP FOR SIRIUS TO HEAR THE SAME MAINSTREAM MUSIC THAT IS PLAYED ON LOCAL RADIO.

Instead, we were drawn to your diverse channel selection that made available to us styles and genres of music that don't get satisfied by local markets. Boombox was one of those stations that opened our eyes and ears to songs and music that, without it, we would never have had the opportunity to hear on radio. A weekly radio show on Alt Nation and another mainstream electronic station in BPM do not make up for the loss of Boombox.

We also did not sign up for Sirius to get the lesser quality channels available on XM, such as BPM. If that were the case, I would have chosen XM. I understand that a merger is taking place between these two companies but that should not necessitate eliminating channels that do not overlap with the programming on ANY of your other channels. Instead, please eliminate the stations that DO overlap. Area 38 and Boombox are my two favorite channels and neither one of them can be replaced by any other channel available on Sirius or XM.

The music format played on the channel that has replaced Boombox overlaps with 9 or more channels already available on Sirius XM, whereas the music format of Boombox overlaps with exactly ZERO other channels available on satellite radio. I understand the need to have channels that cater to the mainstream markets, but please understand that we chose to PAY for Sirius to have the opportunity to listen to channels that are outside of the mainstream realm, such as my favorite channel Boombox. Our demographic is young and growing, please don't burn the bridges you have built with us. The direction of Sirius XM is one that the local radio stations have already taken. Sirius XM cannot compete with FREE local radio by providing the same music that they provide.

Thus, as our benevolent satellite radio monopoly PLEASE consider the need for the smaller market formats. They are the lifeblood of satellite radio. They are the reason we pay for radio. I cannot believe that Boombox was in any way causing Sirius to lose profitability with its refreshing breakthrough style and music selection. So on behalf of the shocked Sirius fans everywhere, please bring back the music of Boombox for our sake and our continued patronage. THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR BOOMBOX.

Thank you for your consideration.
    Very good points which you've made above.

I am glad to see many others sharing the same concern regarding this great station.

Have you received any response back from Sirius on this issue?

Please let me know at the following address:

mdeike212@comcast.net

Many thanks for speaking for a large number of loyal sirius subscribers.

Please work for your customers Sirius!

MITCH

11-17-2008, 12:12 AM #34
    I liked the diversity on my Sirius radio in the car by having Area and Boombox. With the merger it looks like they cut Boombox and suggested a fairly bland alternative station in place of it. While Boombox wasn't perfect, it did play a nice variety of remixes, mashups, and sometimes just good old breakbeats.

I created a petition for those who also miss this station to sign in hopes that Sirius will listen to our request to bring back this channel on the lineup.

http://www.petitiononline.com/boombox/petition.html

11-17-2008, 12:12 AM #35
    I signed! I hope it helps.

11-17-2008, 12:13 AM #36
    I do too. I also called Sirius and sent them an Email directly (no response). The representative on the phone said a lot of people were upset and that if we make enough noise they might bring it back. Liquid Todd responded to me on MySpace and said that he was doing a new show on Alt Nation (ones and zeros?) and that it was time to rebuild... but I don't want a single show on Alt Nation... I want a channel dedicated to what Boombox used to be.

11-17-2008, 06:04 PM #37

The ONLY way to get BOOMBOX BACK!

Ok guys this is it! You want your boombox back like I do? Then we gotta put our money where our mouth is! ITS TIME TO FIGHT BACK!

Some of us have signed the petition, some of us are already looking for other sources, some are talking about a class action lawsuit. Here is the deal, we need to unite and organize. Surely some of you have connections in various important fields. Here is what I propose:

1.) Get everyone to sign the petition, everyone with a pulse. There were 56 when I signed. This is pathetice. We need a few thousand for it to mean anything. So we gotta tell everyone who is a fan of this music to sign. Do whatever it takes!!!!

2.) Someone needs to look into the class action lawsuit. This is false advertising and I am sure that there are other legal reasons that they cannot simply pull the plug on paid programming. To the guy that said that this happens on Terrestrial...NEWS FLASH this is a subscribed service. WE PAY FOR THIS!

3.) We need to unite and cancel our service even is you like some other programming. and...WE NEED TO CANCEL AT THE SAME TIME AND GIVE THEM YOUR FURIOUS REASON FOR CANCELLING!
    4.) We need to inundate them with complaints and demands for return of our paid programming. Not nicely written appologetic emails but FURIOUS DEAMNDING LETTERS AND EMAIL!!!!!!!!!!!

5.) We need to create a website that shames Sirius and demands that they return our programming all of it and dump this other drivel that they are forcing down our throats at our EXPENSE!!!!!!!!!!!

Only way we win is if we are organised! And hit them the only place it hurts! The bank accounts!

Whose with me. Who can take on some of these responsibilities?
    Last edited by shiftymagoo; 11-17-2008 at 06:09 PM.

11-17-2008, 06:14 PM #38
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftymagoo View Post
    Ok guys this is it! You want your boombox back like I do? Then we gotta put our money where our mouth is! ITS TIME TO FIGHT BACK!

Some of us have signed the petition, some of us are already looking for other sources, some are talking about a class action lawsuit. Here is the deal, we need to unite and organize. Surely some of you have connections in various important fields. Here is what I propose:

1.) Get everyone to sign the petition, everyone with a pulse. There were 56 when I signed. This is pathetice. We need a few thousand for it to mean anything. So we gotta tell everyone who is a fan of this music to sign. Do whatever it takes!!!!

2.) Someone needs to look into the class action lawsuit. This is false advertising and I am sure that there are other legal reasons that they cannot simply pull the plug on paid programming. To the guy that said that this happens on Terrestrial...NEWS FLASH this is a subscribed service. WE PAY FOR THIS!

3.) We need to unite and cancel our service even is you like some other programming. and...WE NEED TO CANCEL AT THE SAME TIME AND GIVE THEM YOUR FURIOUS REASON FOR CANCELLING!
    4.) We need to inundate them with complaints and demands for return of our paid programming. Not nicely written appologetic emails but FURIOUS DEAMNDING LETTERS AND EMAIL!!!!!!!!!!!

5.) We need to create a website that shames Sirius and demands that they return our programming all of it and dump this other drivel that they are forcing down our throats at our EXPENSE!!!!!!!!!!!

Only way we win is if we are organised! And hit them the only place it hurts! The bank accounts!

Whose with me. Who can take on some of these responsibilities?
    Finally, somebody thinks like me!

As a longstanding fan of punk rock, you can bet that I'm familiar with how to really fight corporations. You can also bet that I'm pretty pissed off, cuz they took my station away!

And so, in other words... cancel your subscriptions, sign every petition you can get your hands on, and then irritate the shit ouf of these guys. Emails, phone calls to every consumer service line and every radio station, even the ones unrelated to what you're after... write them letters, just send them anything, and don't let up, don't stop until you get your shit back.

God knows I've emailed consumer service about 15 times and called all sorts of different Sirius related phone numbers to just yell at them. As long as I mention that we want our punk back, they're sure to catch on eventually.

11-17-2008, 06:29 PM #39

Heres an interesting article

Check this out guys. It looks like they may have violated there FCC promise. Maybe we can use this as our starting point for legal action. Anyone have a dad or an unkle whos a corporate lawyer? Lets get this going!

http://consumerist.com/5087231/siriu...ed-programming

11-17-2008, 07:07 PM #40
    I just got off the phone with customer care because I decided to cancel but the representative convinced me to stay for a few free months. I took the offer but told her I will not continue my subscription if sirius does not put boombox back on the air. She also suggested that you utilize http://www.sirius.com/customercare/ and explain the situation. Fill out the relevant information and make sure to put 'Music Programming' as your category. Explain specific what channel[s] you're unhappy about being canceled (i also said unhappy they didn't even TELL us this was happening).

She said specifically people are very upset about boombox and the punk channel and that they may reverse it if enough noise is made. This isn't a joke people; let your voice be heard. I also recommend getting the free months and have them note on your account that you want to cancel. This service is currently unusable for me in its current state.

I'm hoping this isn't some scam that they think I'll find another station to be happy about cos that wont happen.

Page 4 of 15 ... 2345614 ...