Page 1 of 2 12
    Enthusiast
    11-09-2008, 07:50 PM #1

New Display At Radio Shack Daytona, FL

My local Radio Shack Store has a new SIRIUS display and some new inventory. The display consists of a framed poster featuring SIRIUS with the best of XM. New inventory includes new boom boxes that will work with the Starmate 5 and other units. The only new radio they offer is the Starmate 5. There are small (newly affixed - added on) stickers on the Starmate 5 boxes that proclaim: ala carte ready.

SIRIUS is not pitching a la carte programming. SIRIUS is pitching best of. If you want a la carte, you pretty much have to know about it yourself and educate the salespeople about it. After doing just that, they busted out the Starmate 5. They had no home docking hardware available currently, except for the new boombox. The old boombox is marked down to $79.95. It will not work with the Starmate 5. The new boombox that will is priced at $99.95.

SIRIUS, wisely or unwisely wants to exhaust old inventory before promoting the new stuff. I'm just guessing when I say that there must be half a million old units (non-starmate 5) to unload. Starmate 5 is the only radio that Radio Shack offers that is a la carte ready.

I am still anticipating at some point soon that we will see a promotion featuring free radios. Purely guessing, but if economic gloom and doom persists as it seems to be doing, it would be a boon to SIRIUS to give away radios with paid subscription plans. For example, sell a six months plan for $49.95 with a free radio for a Christmas special.

Customers would jump on that like white on rice. The'y have a tangible gift item for under the tree and a paid sub.

Enthusiast
    11-09-2008, 08:25 PM #2
    ABOUT TIME

IT TAKES TIME TO BUILD A COMPANY THAT JUST MERGED...

Addict
    11-09-2008, 09:20 PM #3
    JUST REMEMBER

"nothing great is created suddenly"

Addict
    11-09-2008, 09:27 PM #4
    States over 35 million listeners? Thought we had just under 19 million subs?

http://stockmarketsundays.com/sites/..._usa_today.jpg

Enthusiast
    11-09-2008, 09:39 PM #5
    There is a difference between subs and listeners. :-)

Addict
    11-09-2008, 09:45 PM #6
    otone..guess there could be over a 100 milliuon listeners then..if it plays in stores, workplaces and everywhere else too. that seems deceitful and misleading in ad.

Enthusiast
    11-09-2008, 10:05 PM #7
    I wouldn't consider it to be misleading. Just making "realistic" numbers work for them in a positive way. It is Sirius XM "radio", so they key on "listeners" to market to other potential listeners. Hey... it's a cool ad, and it is great to see these things start to finally come out.

Enthusiast
    11-09-2008, 11:13 PM #8
    Our music channels are available to DISH satellite television subscribers and certain of our music channels are offered to Sprint subscribers over multi-media handsets.We also offer video, traffic and weather data services for a separate fee. Subscribers to DISH satellite television, Sprint and our video, traffic and weather data services are not included in our subscriber count.

In 2005, SIRIUS Canada Inc., a Canadian corporation owned by us, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation and Standard Radio Inc., received a license from the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission to offer a satellite radio service in Canada. SIRIUS Canada offers 110 channels of commercial-free music and news, sports, talk and entertainment programming, including 11 channels of Canadian content. Subscribers to the SIRIUS
    Canada service are not included in our subscriber count.

Addict
    11-10-2008, 12:02 AM #9
    Spanyo..

thanks for your facts and input.

Enthusiast
    11-10-2008, 12:18 AM #10
    Spanyo, my thanks as well. I need to spend more time reading up on all the information available on Sirius.

SiriusHope, to add some additional numbers that I've found on the Sirius Investor Relations. SIRIUS Canada had over 750,000 subscribers. SiriusXM had 18.5 million subs. DISH had 13.8 million subs. Don't know about the Sprint numbers, but that is close to 33 million. Of course the DISH subs don't necessarily translate to 13.8 million listeners since Sirius XM is only available for free to Premium subscribers. Others have to pay extra.

Page 1 of 2 12